Imperial America

Gore Vidal, June 4, 2004

"I remember years ago, Time magazine, in one of its numerous attacks on me, on my first book of essays, which was heaven knows when, 30, 40 years ago, I refer to the American empire and things that we were doing that were not very good across the world, and I referred to the empire. And Time magazine dismissed me. It was an awful review. He's the sort of person that says that the United States has an empire. Well, we’ve got Guam, that's true. That's all we have got. I pointed out that we had troops and so on in over 1,000 other places around the world. That seems imperial to me, but there we are."

http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=04/06/04/1353259

I plan on writing about this in an article I'm working on. Even amongst the "left" as its called, Guam isn't even a blip on the radar. Its still invisible in a sense, and not worth citing as an example of anything worth fighting for or needing to be fixed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chamorro Public Service Post #15: Pues Adios, Esta Ki

Tuleti

Guam: The Movie