DNC Day 2 - Okinawan Realities

I briefly met one elected official this afternoon, who had spent several years of her life in Okinawa. I introduced myself as the blogger from Guam. She mentioned having always wanted to visit Guam but never having the chance too.
I took this opportunity to discuss the impending military buildup there, and mentioned specifically the several thousand Marines which will be transfered from Okinawa to Guam. At first her face went ashen and she said oh no, how terrible.

She didn't elaborate on this and so I can only guess why she seemed to feel it was terrible. Was it because of some simple image of a small paradise island being overrun by eager young Marines? Or was it something tied to her own time in Okinawa?

After this brief pause, she quickly sobered up and said that it would probably be for the best.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chamorro Public Service Post #15: Pues Adios, Esta Ki

Tuleti

Guam: The Movie