I want a girl...

Lacan is famous for his philosophical one liners such as "there is no such thing as a sexual relationship." Zizek's most exciting point is that he connects these "zingers" with pop culture artifacts. The other day I came across one myself.

Lacan said, "what does it matter how many lovers you have if none of them gives you the universe?" I was reminded of this while listening to Weezer's blue album. Track two, "No One Else," is a nicely Lacanian love ballad. The chorus goes taiguini,

I want a girl who will laugh for no one else
When I'm away she puts her makeup on the shelf
When I'm away she never leaves the house
I want a girl who laughs for no one else

The underlying message of course being, I want someone who reveals their laugh, that thing which is unique to them to me alone. Someone who will only lie to me. Someone who will only write for me sections of life most beautiful fiction, love. The makeup is a key term. I want someone who is willing to cut their self in order to meet the requirements of my fantasy space (such as in Vertigo or Main Hoon Na).

Sadly, the singer's girlfriend is prone to giving away her universe to other people, by laughing at what other people say as well.

My girl's got a big mouth
With which she blabbers a lot
She laughs at most everything
Whether it's funny or not
And if you see her
Tell her it's over now

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chamorro Public Service Post #15: Pues Adios, Esta Ki

Tuleti

Guam: The Movie