Matai na Hilitai


This was a picture from the trail at Pagat.

There is no way I cannot feel philosophical about this sight.

A hilitai, crushed and flattened into the earth.

At a place no less which as been controversial for a variety of reasons the past few years.

I find it particularly interesting since hilitai have a habit of following me when I hike.

The first time I tried to catch a hilitai was at Hila'an.

In the area that I call the lemmai grove, I saw one standing atop a lusong.

I tiptoed as quietly as I could to try and reach it.

Naturally I'm not much of a ninja and so the hilitai immediately heard me.

Instead of running though, it just stared at me.

Watching me get closer and closer to it.

Once I was too close, it plodded off the lusong and started to crawl briskly into the jungle.

I raced after it, but couldn't find it.

When the rest of my friends arrived I told them about how I had almost caught a hilitai.

As I spoke it started to rain.

My friend blamed the rain on me bothering the hilitai.

Implying that the hilitai was probably a taotaomo'na.

When I returned to that spot over a year later I found hilitai there again.

This time, there wasn't just one.

There were dozens.

I was certain I was dreaming or hallucinating.

I have never seen so many in one place.

They ran off as soon as they heard me.

Since then every time I see a hilitai I am careful to be respectful.

When I saw this hilitai at the entrance to Pagat I couldn't help but feel philosophical.

Otro fino'-ta.

"Matai na hilitai" would make an awesome, but morbid kid's book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chamorro Public Service Post #15: Pues Adios, Esta Ki

Tuleti

Guam: The Movie