Occupied Okinawa #2: Life Without Pictures

During my first day here in Okinawa I ended up taking 600 pictures.

When I go on trips like this I often end up taking a lot of pictures so I have plenty of evidence when I go back to Guam that I indeed did travel somewhere else and talk to people, look at things, etc.

When I was in Hiroshima in 2010 for the World Conference Against Atomic and Hydrogen Bombs I was methodically taking pictures of every speaker, no matter who they were, even if they weren't really that interesting. I would take at least three pictures of every speaker, each from a different angle. A European at the conference later laughed at me saying that I was Aerosmith for my constant picture taking. Although I smiled in a very friendly native sort of way, I was confused as to why he would call me this. Was it because I look like steven Tyler? (sa' siempre ti duminga ham). Was it because he was crying when he met me and now he was dying to forget me? (lao sa' hafa? sa' kalang ti umatungo' ham na dos)

I eventually asked and learned the reason. Apparently the only thing this European knew about Aerosmith was the song "Don't Want to Miss a Thing" from the film Armageddon. My constant picture taking seemed to stem from my desire, like that of AJ for Gracie in the film, to not miss anything. Unfortunately, I actually miss plenty of things. I am sometimes really slow to get my camera out. With my manual digital camera sometimes when I move from outdoor to indoor settings I forget to change my settings and end up taking a really exciting picture of a dark room. For my manual I also have two lenses and so I have missed many interesting things while struggling to switch them.

Unfortunately there is a slight hiccup in terms of my downloading and posting pictures to my blog. The laptop I'm using (that my girlfriend was generous to let me use) doesn't have a sd card drive. I have a cable for my camera so I can download pictures directly but it doesn't seem to be working. I'm hoping today to be able to download my pictures to the laptop of someone else and then transfer them onto this laptop with a flash drive.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chamorro Public Service Post #15: Pues Adios, Esta Ki

Tuleti

Guam: The Movie