SK Solidarity Trip Day 1: Dunkin Donuts?

On my trip from Incheon Airport to my hotel in Jongo-gu, I saw 7 Dunkin Doughnuts.

Para bai hu admite na didide’ tiningo’-hu put South Korea, lao bei sangani hamyo, nag of nina’manman yu’ ni’ este.

I know the whole spiel about globalization and way franchises such as McDonald’s and Starbucks have become global. So I wasn’t shocked when I saw Sponge Bob Squarepants dubbed on TV, or an episode of House with Korean subtitles. I saw a few McDonalds and Starbucks, Pizza Huts on the way to my hotel, and wasn’t surprised at all. But the fact that I found 7 Dunkin Doughnuts really intrigued me and made me wonder if there is some interesting or tragic story behind how South Korea came to be so inundated with that particular franchise.

So while I was on the bus, I vowed to keep track of all the Dunkin Doughnuts that I find in South Korea, and eventually when I return to Guam conduct some research to see if there is any backstory to be found.

Stay tuned for the final tally of Dunkin Donuts once I'm done with this trip. After the strong showing today, I'm guessing I'll find at least 20 total.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chamorro Public Service Post #15: Pues Adios, Esta Ki

Tuleti

Guam: The Movie