Chamoru Survival Phrases for Thanksgiving

 For my weekly Chamoru language practice group, I offered them this week in honor of Thanksgiving, 10 survival phrases in Chamoru to help get you through the day. The sentences focus on honoring and expressing gratitude, but also on discussing drama and delicate topics. They were more for fun than anything else, and I certainly did enjoy writing them up. 

************************


1. Hu agradesi hamyo ni’ fumå’tinas este na mångnge na sena

 

I appreciate all of you who made this delicious dinner

 

2. Hu agradesi todu i mañainå-ta ni’ muna’posipble i guinahå-ta yan bendision-ta siha på’go

 

I appreciate all of our elders who made possible the abundance and blessings we have today

 

3. Hu agradesi hao nåna sa’ sen mångnge i korason-mu

 

I appreciate you mom because you have such a wonderful heart.

 

4. Hu agradesi hao lokkue’ tata sa’ taichi i gineftao-mu

 

I appreciate you too dad because your generosity is without limits.

 

5. Ti hu agradesi hao tihu sa’ båba na taotao hao         

 

I don’t appreciate you uncle because you are a bad person

 

6. Hågu lokkue’ tiha ti hu agradesi hao sa’ hu tungo’ na un såkke iyon-måmi bushcutter

 

You as well, I don’t appreciate you auntie, because I know that you stole our bushcutter

 

7. Hu gof agradesi na esta måkpo’ i botasion, pues tåya’ kuentos put politics gi lamaså-ta på’go

 

I really appreciate that the election is over, so no political talk at our table today

 

8. Hu agradesi todu ayu siha ni’ manmacho’cho’cho’ kada diha para i tano’-ta yan I kotturå-ta

 

I appreciate all of those who are working every day for our island and culture.

 

9. Achokka’ ti ya-hu chumocho påbu, hu agradesi i gineftao i fumå’tinas.

 

Although I don’t like to eat turkey, I appreciate the generosity of the one who made it

 

10. Hu agradesi este na oppotunidåt para bai sangåni hamyo ni’ magåhet na hestoria put este na diha ko’lo’lo’ña para I mannatibu.

 

I appreciate the opportunity to tell you the true history of this day, especially for indigenous peoples.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chamorro Public Service Post #15: Pues Adios, Esta Ki

Tuleti

Guam: The Movie