The Parting Glass

When my son Akli'e' and I played Assassin's Creed Black Flag (Åttelong na Bandera) together, we were both touched by the game's ending ballad, "Parting Glass," a famous Scottish farewell song. Even after I stopped playing it years ago, we still find ourselves singing to it in the car and referencing his favorite line from the song "for want of wit." Este uno gof ya-hu na huegon bideo. Ya hu hasso gi finakpo' annai makånta este na kånta, kulang tumåtanges yu'. 

Over the years when we sing this song, my kids and I eventually added in our own Chamoru lyrics for it. I've pasted them below. 

As I reflect back on the year that was 2019; the love, the pain and everything in between, this song was a beautiful way to bid it adios.

*************************

The Parting Glass

Of all the money there ere I had
I spent it in good company

Put todu i salape’ ni’ hu chule’
I manabok-hu hu gaståyi

And all the harm that ere I done
Alas it was to none but me

Put todos hamyo ni’ hu na’puti 
Gi minagahet Guahu i mas puminiti 

And all I’ve done for want of wit
To memory now I can’t recall

Ya todu i bidå-hu sa’ ti nahong minalate’-ku
Gi me’nan Yu’os ti hu hahasso

So fill to me the parting glass
Good night and joy be with you all

Na’bulåyi yu’ ni’ gimen uttimo
Minagof yan minaolek i ga’chong-miyu

Of all the comrades that ere I had
They’re sorry for my going away

Todos hamyo ni’ manabok-hu
Despensa na ti apmam hamyo bai hu dingu

And all the sweethearts that ere I’ve loved
They’d wish me one more day to stay

Ya todu i mangguinaiyå-ku
Ma tånga mohon un diha ta’lo

But since it falls unto my lot
That I should rise and you should not

Lao måtto este gi kannai-hu
Na Guahu bei hånao ya ti hamyo

I’ll gently rise and softly call
Good night and joy be with you all

Bai hu kahulo’ ya ågang todu
Maolek puengi nu todos hamyo


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chamorro Public Service Post #15: Pues Adios, Esta Ki

Tuleti

Guam: The Movie