12 Days of Christmas - Guam 2018 Election Version

Last month for UOG's annual Chamoru Christmas celebration "Puengen Minagof Noche Buena" my Radical Chamoru History class performed their own version of "The Twelve Days of Christmas" using Chamoru and also references from the Fanuchånan semester and Guam's recent election. It was a lot of fun watching them write it and as you can see in this picture, they used appropriate props when performing it. Here are their lyrics:

"I fine’nina na Krismas, este ma susedi
I fine’nina na na palao'an gobietno
(The first day of Christmas, this is what took place
The first female governor (of Guam!))

I mina’dos na Krismas, este ma susedi
Dos na Påkyo
(The second day of Christmas, this is what took place
Two typhoons (that happened during the semester))

I mina’tres na Krismas, este ma susedi
Tres freskon mannok
(The third day of Christmas, this is what took place
Three fresh chickens (new fresh, faces in the Legislature)

I mina’kuåtro na Krismas, este ma susedi
Kuåttru na gåyu
(On the fourth day of Christmas, this is what took place
Four roosters (referring to male candidates that ran for Governor)

I mina’singko na Krismas, este ma susedi
Sinku na senådot lalåhi
(On the fifth day of Christmas, this is what took place
Five male senators (referring to the five men elected to the Guam Legislature))

I mina’sais na Krismas, este ma susedi
Sais na acho’ latte’
(On the sixth day of Christmas, this is what took place
Six latte stones)

I mina’ siette na Krismas, este ma susedi
Siette klas tetehnan
(On the seventh day of Christmasm, this is what took place
Seven classes left (in the Fanuchånan semester))

I mina’ocho na Krismas, este ma susedi
Ochu mit man write-in
(On the eighth day of Christmas, this is what took place
8,000 cast write in votes (for former Senator Frank Aguon as Governor))

I mina’nuebi na Krismas, este ma susedi
Nuebi na nubena
(On the ninth day of Christmas, this is what took place
Nine devotional prayers)

I mina’deis na Krismas, este ma susedi
Deis na Lady’sLature
(On the tenth day of Christmas this is what took place
Ten female Senators (elected in the 2018 Guam election)

I mina’onse na Krismas, este ma susedi
Onsi hit gi klas-ta
(On the eleventh day of Christmas, this is what took place
Eleven of us in class (I had 11 students enrolled in the class))

I mina’dosse na Krismas, este ma susedi
Dose na Boñelos
(On the twelfth day of Christmas, this is what took place
12 fried donuts! (Biba Boñelos!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chamorro Public Service Post #15: Pues Adios, Esta Ki

Tuleti

Guam: The Movie