Ha'anin Botasion

It is finally here.

Put fin mafatto gui'.

Election Day for Guam and the CNMI.

I Ha'anin Botasion para todu i Islas Marianas.

I have so much to do today but I am hoping to post some of my thoughts on the election before the polls close.

Meggaigai na bai hu cho'gue pa'go, lao hu diseseha mohon na sina hu tuge' magi i hinasso-ku put i botasion pa'go antes di machuom i sagan mambota siha.

Most importantly, who I plan to give my votes to.

Put hemplo, hayi i gayu-hu siha ni' bai hu bobota pa'go.

Here are some thoughts from my male' Victoria Leon Guerrero on how to pick a good candidate for you and for this island.

Estague i hinasso-na i male-ku Si Victoria LG, put taimanu sina manayek hao maolek na gayu para Hagu yan para i isla. 

******************

FROM VICTORIA LEON GUERRERO:


When I vote for a person, I ask myself some important questions.

1. Can I trust this person?

2. If I approach this person with ideas or concerns, will I be taken seriously?

3. Will this person work in the best interest of our island's future?

4. Will this person make life on Guam better for my sons?

5. Will this person protect the indigenous rights of our people? 


6. Will this person work to decolonize our island and allow for true Chamoru Self-Determination?
7. Will this person empower us to believe in ourselves and provide opportunities for us to reach our highest potential here, on our island? 


8. Will this person uphold the promises we make in our inifresi, to protect and defend our heritage, language, culture, air, water, and land? 


9. Will this person face our island's challenges with courage and conviction? 


10. Will this person challenge injustice and corruption, even when it is not the popular thing to do?

There are three candidates on the ballot, for whom I can answer "yes" to all of these questions. Speaker Judith T. Won Pat, Vice Speaker Benjamin "B.J." Cruz, and my beautiful, incredibly smart and amazing auntie, Hope Cristobal. They have dedicated their lives in numerous ways to our island and our people. We need their caliber of leadership in the Legislature, now more than ever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chamorro Public Service Post #15: Pues Adios, Esta Ki

Guam: The Movie

Tuleti