The Translator's Vice

Every once in a while I seem to disappear from the face of the island.

People call my phone and I don't answer. Emails pile up and I don't respond to them. People don't see me in my usual places. My course work for classes is more abbreviated and rushed than usual.

If you ever notice this happen to me then rest assured I am not addicted to any drugs, nor have I taken up some new misanthropic new hobby. What has probably happened is that I've taken on a new translation project (from English to Chamorro), and I'm probably bunkered up in my office at home or at UOG, typing in frustrated bursts into my computer, and occasionally coming up for air by digging for some archaic word in my Chamorro-English dictionary. I sometimes take on projects like this in order to make some extra money, and just because I also find it to be an interesting experience.

So if it seems like I've been gone for a few days, I'm lost in translation yet again. I got a particularly large and unfortunately rushed project sitting in front of me on my computer and so for the next few days there isn't much time for anything else.

I'm not sure why, but after my last big project like this I painted an image which I titled "The Translator's Vice." Don't ask me what about the image below signifies that idea and don't ask me why I chose to name it such. I was probably exhausted from the translating and didn't have enough neurotransmitters left to come up with something more appropriate.

Here's the painting. Wish me luck in my translating.

Comments

Tamagosan said…
Eng->Chamorro sound TOUGH. This translator only translates into English, so applauds your effort. After a taxing project, I always feel like my brain has turned to oatmeal. Or maybe something more mushy. SO GOOD LUCK!

Popular posts from this blog

Chamorro Public Service Post #15: Pues Adios, Esta Ki

Tuleti

Guam: The Movie