Pakaka Neni Famatkilu


My time with Lulai Lumuhu is filled with dancing and singing.

Desiree always said that she would pay attention to my voice while she was in the womb. When she heard others, like Sumåhi and Akli'e' she would kick and move. But when I was speaking to her she would stop and listen.

Ti siguguro yu' esta på'go, kao este kumekeilekña na ya-ña i bos-hu pat ti ya-ña i bos-hu. Kao ha respepeta yu', pat kao inespåpanta?
I try as much as possible to sing Chamoru songs to her, knowing that she'll hear English and other songs from just about everywhere else, she'll be hearing Chamoru from me. The song that soothes her the most is "I Puti'on." Akli'e' and I do a nice duet of the song for her to help calm her when she is cranky.
Over the years I've collected several dozen Chamoru children's songs from before World War II, many of which are fragments. Songs then were different then the way we think about them now. People took tunes they liked and made up the words, sometimes the words might make sense, sometimes they might be silly. People tend to remember certain pieces that were commonly said, but the rest of the song was up to a father, a mother, a grandparent or a child to make up.
"Frere Jacques" or "Are you Sleeping?" is a song that came into Guam during the Spanish period and Chamorus would make up their own verses based on people in their family or around the ranch.
One song that I really enjoy singing to little Lulai is "Pakaka' Neni" which is a Chamoru version of "Hush, Little Baby." This song came into Guam either in the late 1930s or late 1940s, and parents or teachers can change the lyrics to fit whatever is around the house or in your life. I've included the lyrics below, but remember that you can always change the items to whatever your kids might want or like. For example "Pakaka' Neni Famatkilu, Bai fahåni hao ni ipad-mu." In case you are getting your baby a tablet instead of a ring.
Pakaka’ Neni
Pakaka’ Neni Famatkilu
Bai fahåni hao un aniyu
Yanggen malingu i aniyu
Bai nå’i hao potserås-mu
Yanggen ma’tot potserås-mu
Bai nå’i hao ga’-mu ga’lågu
Yanggen malågu i ga’lågu
Bai nå’i hao bisikletå-mu
Yanggen båba i redå-ña
Bai nå’i hao un chandiha
Yanggen hokkok i chandiha
Un tiniroru as Nånan biha
Hush baby
Hush baby be quiet
And I will buy you a ring
And if the ring gets lost
I will give you bracelets
And if the bracelets are broken off
I’ll give you a dog
And if the dog runs away
I will give you a bike
And if the tire is bad
I’ll give you a watermelon
And when the watermelon is gone
You will be rocked to sleep by your grandmother

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chamorro Public Service Post #15: Pues Adios, Esta Ki

Tuleti

Guam: The Movie